Monday, January 11, 2010
Quilt #1: Block Party
This quilt took me several years to make. I bought the fabric in Indiana and cut it out with the intentions of sewing the top together before we moved. It came in pieces with us to Washington. I did not give up and with sheer determination and mighty willpower, I managed to finish it.
I found these great tutorials on binding a quilt here, here, and here. They each have a different spin on binding a quilt with great visual tutorials. Did I mention I am a visual learner? If you have never made a quilt before I recommend checking out a book at the library and finding an easy pattern. (That's what I did.)
Quilt #2: Rail Fence
My second quilt is almost done..... It has fabric that was given to me at a Pow-wow, mixed with some leftovers from a dress my sister wore. I followed the tutorials above and cut my binding strips at a 45 degree angle, had them sewn in a long strip to fit around my quilt, and then proceeded to sew the binding to the back of the quilt.
That's when I got red in the face and smoke billowed out my ears. It took me one hour to sew it on and will take two hours using a seam ripper to get it off.
You are not suppose to sew the binding to the back of the quilt... you are suppose to sew it to the front.
Let's just say, I hope I learn from this mistake or this may be my last quilt.