Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Sweets for the sweet!


Making our gingerbread houses is always a treat. This year I found a wonderful recipe for the icing. I have never before been able to get the icing to hold up the house. For a couple of years we hot glued the walls together, but that doesn't go over very well when you want to eat it. I went searching on-line for a good, "Glue", that would hold up under the weight of ten pounds of candy. I found that the trick to making a gingerbread house is to have a strong frosting. I found two recipes on-line, but didn't have all the ingredients for them both. Here is the recipe I concocted for the icing.

Stiff Icing:
2 egg whites
5 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp water

Beat egg whites until frothy, add the sugar one cup at a time until thick, add water to get desired consistency.
Frost house and let set one hour before adding any deliciousness, this way the walls don't cave in.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Kt said...

Thanks! I need a good recipe. Your picture looks so cute too.

Lucky Starfish said...

no sweets for me until I get my mouth figured out. Dr. P was very helpful in his probable diagnoses, though! We shall see tomorrow what the verdict is!