Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Moses Basket


Here is baby item #3: The moses basket. My mom had a basket that we slept in from the day we came home from the hospital until we were about three months old. I don't know where her basket originated from, but she used it for all seven of her babies. When I had my first baby I lived a couple hours from home and got to borrow the original basket. When my second daughter was born I lived in the mid-west and was not within driving distance for borrowing it again. My quest my own basket began. I found this one on eBay, I loved the neutral colors, and bid more than I should have to win it. I wanted to be able to pass it down to my own daughters when they have children.
My mom's favorite movie was The Unsinkable Molly Brown. In the beginning of the movie Molly floats down a river in her cradle through the rapids. She washes ashore and is found by her adoptive father. Her life is never easy, but she does not give up. At the end of the movie she is on the sinking Titanic, and finds herself yet again in perilous waters. I won't give away any more details in case you want to watch this movie for yourself. I mention it here because this basket got me reminiscing about my mom and her baby basket. Don't worry, I promise not to float my baby down any rivers.

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Ralphie said...

I have wonderful memories of sitting in your living room watching "Unsinkable Molly Brown". We had a good childhood together.

And I love the Moses baskets. It's on my want list too.

Jalene said...

What great memories/traditions. I also love that movie! Now I'll have to go check it out of the library...unless I have it tucked away somewhere...hmmm....

Lucky Starfish said...

...but you could float your baby in it if you needed too...you know, just in case there is an emergency. Always be Prepared!

Kt said...

I love that little basket mom had. Thanks for letting me borrow yours! You can add another baby that has been in that one.

larksong39 said...

What a cute baby basket! And it will be even cuter with a cute baby in it!!