Friday, April 2, 2010

Eat it up!

I have never loved cooking. I use to try when I was young, to make cookies... but my brothers seemed to have a cookie sonar and came running with spoons in hand to eat the dough. I tried cake, but managed to put in too much baking soda, or powder or too much of both. That stuff was discouraging. Then I heard a quote by Bob Hurley the basketball coach for St. Anthony High School in Jersey City. His 2007-08 team, which went 32-0, was featured in the documentary "The Street Stops Here" on PBS this week. He told his players, "Take something you can't do and turn it into a strength." I instantly thought about cooking. That is something I am turning into a strength. I thought I would occasionally share with you recipes that I come across. This feature will be titled, "Eat it up!"



Egg Salad Sandwich- (can be *chicken or tuna*)

  • 5 large eggs

  • something crunchy: celery, apple, radishes or 1/2 cup sweet or dill pickle

  • something oniony: 1/4 small red onion, 2 scallions, or 1 large shallot

  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise

  • salt and pepper

  • bread

*Boil eggs for fifteen minutes
*Cool and peel them
*Chop the eggs

*While the eggs cook, chop "something crunchy." Add 1/2 cup to a bowl. Chop whatever onion you choose and add to the mix. Add the mayo and salt and pepper.

*Add eggs to the bowl. Toss evenly to coat.

This should be enough for 4 sandwiches.

No comments: