Tuesday, January 25, 2011

* Yum!

A recipe card recently fell out of an old book I found.  It was written in my high school handwriting with large bubble letters.  Next to the title it said, "* Yum!"  with a star and everything.  I had to give it a try, it must have been a good recipe if I liked it as a teen.  So I made a big pot and it was actually pretty tasty. 
Hamburger Bean Pot
Cook together until beans are tender
1Cup dried white (or pinto) beans, washed, drained and soaked overnight.
1tsp. salt
3 quarts cold water


Brown 1 lb hamburger with 1 chopped onion then add to beans
also add:
1 quart tomatoes
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped potatoes
2 beef bullion cubes
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup uncooked rice
1 tsp. chili powder
Cook for 1 1/2 hours or until everything is done.  Just before eating, add some frozen peas.
Makes about 6 quarts.

*When I made this I used beans in a can. The ones that are already cooked.  I used kidney and butter beans.  I was going for fast and easy and didn't plan ahead for soaking dried beans overnight.   It still turned out fabulous.

No comments: