Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Eat it Up

This recipe is from a magazine called Taste of Home Simple & Delicious. I have had a subscription to this magazine since 2006 and it still saves the day, on many occasions. I keep all my copies in the pantry next to my cookbooks and when I am stumped for dinner ideas I pull out all the old copies of whatever the current month happens to be. For example, the magazine comes only six times a year, so if it is August, I pull out July/August copies from 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, and 2006. Then I pick my favorite recipes and make a shopping list for the week. Some times I don't really like any of the recipes in an issue and other times I find myself making recipe after recipe of a certain issue. It happens that the July/August issue of 2006 is one of my favorites. Here is a link to the website with archives of recipes from past issues, but the archives only go to 2007. The best features about this magazine is that they have minimal advertisements in their publications. There may be one or two ads in the entire thing. My other favorite part is that they have a picture of every recipe. I need pictures. I will share a couple favorite recipes from the July/August 2006 issue with you.

Easy Chicken Enchiladas from Kristi Black
1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce, divided
4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
1 1/2 cups salsa
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
1 can (15 1/2 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
10 flour tortillas
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
Shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, sour cream and sliced ripe olives, optional

Spoon 1/2 cup enchilada sauce into a greased 13in.x 9in.x 2in. baking dish. In a large saucepan, cook and stir the cream cheese and salsa over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until blended. Stir in the chicken, beans, and chilies.
Place about 6 tablespoons of chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down over sauce. Top with remaining enchilada sauce; sprinkle with cheese.
Cover and Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until heated through. Serve with lettuce, tomato, sour cream and olives if desired. Yield: 5 servings.

No comments: