Monday, January 14, 2008

The Runner


The Runner


On a flat road runs the well-train'd runner,

He is lean and sinewy with muscular legs,

He is thinly clothed, he leans forward as he runs,

With lightly closed fists and arms partially rais'd.

--Walt Whitman



Here is my challenge for the year;

Meditate... read something inspirational, uplifting, encouraging. Think about it a few minutes. Read slowly and deliberately. Make it short, but let the words flow over you and seep into you.
Today's post reflects my reading for the day. There are a lot of books to choose from. Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass, Time and the Art of Living by Robert Grudin, passages from the Bible, or lots of books of daily meditations.

To Run
I run out of love
For those I care for
To see them grow and laugh and play

I run out of hope
For sun in my eyes
Wind in my hair

I run out of tragedy
Hearts stopped too soon
Lungs no longer filling with air

Don’t judge me
I am not trying to outdo you
I am not trying to beat you

Join me in the run
To strengthen our hearts
To energize our souls.
-- Snappy

2 comments:

Kt said...

dVery nice. Like the picture too.

Anonymous said...

I loved this blog! Your poem is great. I like your goals for the new year. I always like to see the runners and cyclists on the roads near here. I admire them so much, and when I'm out walking, I feel a kinship with them. There's the same feeling in your poem.