Monday, May 10, 2010

Memory Flowers


When I was a little girl we picked irises and took them to the cemetery on Memorial Day. I would carefully wrap the cut stems in wet paper towels so we could transport them in the car. They carry special meaning for me since my mother past away. I think of her when I see them. How I would love to cut some and carefully place them on her headstone. I would look at her name etched on rock and remember how she loved her babies. I'm her baby, only all grown up now, with little ones of my own. I think of how she loved to make handcrafted gifts and pick irises to remember her loved ones by. I was so elated to see that there were some irises growing here when we rented this house. In the fall I transplanted them to my flowerbed. I can't believe the blossoms this spring. I'm off to kiss my baby because they grow up way to fast.


Linking up with:



Sweet Shot Day
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a neat blessing for you. So pretty!

SarahinSC said...

Yes they do grow up way too fast! Your iris shot is very pretty.

Meghan said...

What a blessing!

Meghan
www.thetuckerstaketennessee.com

Unknown said...

Very special memory! LOVE this post and so glad you shared it. Excellent picture.

Heather said...

Beautiful sentiment and beautiful flowers. I am eagerly awaiting our first blooms.

Great banner too... trying to talk hubby into building me a coop.

To Life said...

That's an especially pretty shade of purple on those irises. They bloom here right around Mothers Day, so they always remind me of Mothers too. Just the other day, we were talking with the kids about your family, and I realized your family was about the same that mine is now, when your mother passed away, since my oldest is almost 15. Even though she had 7 children, I realize now she really was still very young! I can't imagine not getting to continue to raise my children, yet, that's what you experienced. I bet your mother is so pleased with all you've done, and continue to do.

Tracy said...

I love Iris'!

Christine said...

What beautiful memories and such a special blessing.

Jennifer said...

What a beautiful post. Please consider joining us at Making Memories Monday one week. MMM is a chance to relive an old memory, tell a present-day story, or share what you are doing to create memories for the future. This would be a perfect MMM post! Think about it.

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful way to be remembered...my little one loves to bring me a mini bouquet every day...it so touches my heart!